ERROR: THE SDDL STRING CONTAINS AN INVALID SID.
I was setting up SP 2013 as a standalone server inside a VMWare for my development purposes. (I did this previously inside virtualBox and encountered same error & had it resolved but didn’t document it).
The main reason for switching over from VirtualBox to VMWare is that there were many configuration challanges to make the GUEST server’s applications to be accessible by HOST machine. Or simply putting I COULDN’T PING HOST FROM GUEST & VICEVERSA.
Using VMWare (NAT Configuration), I could achieve this without any other step. Though the same NAT is available inside VirtualBox. Anyways now coming into the issue.
VMWare running WIN 2012 Standard with no domain & its just inside a workgroup.
- I ran the pre-requisites
- Then started the SP Configuration wizard, it fails during/after step 8 stating “ERROR: THE SDDL STRING CONTAINS AN INVALID SID……..”.
Searching google points out that it is related to permissions issues. Turns out that it is related to Search Service application’s account.
- Determine which user account you want to use for the search service and add it to the WSS_Admin_WPG group. In my case,there was no domain & I just added Administrator – which was already added
- Launch the SharePoint 2013 Management Shell and execute the following command: (In my case the domain = my computer name & user = administrator):
$SearchUser = Get-Credential YOUR-DOMAIN\YOUR-SEARCH-USER
- Enter the credentials for the account when asked.
- Next, execute this command:
New-SPManagedAccount -Credential $SearchUser
- Go to the following path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data\Office Serverand find the folder that begins with “Analytics_”.
- Right-click, choose Properties, Sharing tab, and the Advanced Sharing button.
- Share this folder and click on Permissions.
- Add the Search user account with Full Control and also add the WSS_ADMIN_WPG with Full Control.
- Relaunch the SharePoint Products Configuration and happy SharePointing 🙂